The other week I directed you to the Skin Deep Cosmetic Database to inform you of the toxic ingredients in your skin care products. If you were to try to avoid only one ingredient though, it should be Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Laureth Suflate. Acording to Dr. Frank Lipman these chemicals can combine to cause a deadly class of carcinogen. In addition to being in all our soaps, shampoos, and toothpastes, SLS is also used to clean engines, garage floors, and car washes- you don’t say!
In addition to a deadly carcinogen, SLS are known to cause eye damage, depression, diarrhea, and other ailments (2,935 reports in the Toxicology Data Network here).
YIKES! With SLS being the premiere foaming agent in all our hygiene products, what’s a well groomed citizen to do!? Fear not, brands are catching on to the SLS-Free trend and making new products accordingly. Below are my favorite, 5-heart items and solutions.
I love love love Caviar Shampoo & Conditioner! It’s awesome and luxurious and free of all the bad stuff:
- NO SULFATES, NO PARABENS, NO GLUTENS, NO TEA,
- NO DEA, NO PABA, NO PARAFFIN, NO PHTHALATES,
- NO PETROLATUM, NO MINERAL OIL, NO ANIMAL TESTING!
I’m also a big fan of Global Keratin with Juvexin which has that creamy salon scent that’s so yummy.
- SLS, SLES and Sodium Chloride free
- Gluten Free
- 3 natural whiteners whiten teeth without chemicals or harsh abrasives
- Perilla Seed Extract helps block sugar acids that form tartar on teeth
- No Fluoride, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Saccharin, Preservatives or Animal Testing
- Vegan, Wheat, and Gluten Free
- No Parabens, Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfates, phosphates, phthalates, artificial fragrances, colors, silicones, EDTA, glycol or petroleum-based ingredients.
This would make such a great gift for the holidays!
I hope you found this post helpful! I always look forward to your feedback and questions, so if there’s anything I can do to help or advise, please let me know. 🙂