I just came across this article by Dr. Mark Hyman on how to survive restaurants with all their sugary, salty foods and processed sauces. The first tip, “Be obnoxious,” had me chuckling. My brothers seem to think I’m the most annoying person with whom to order: now a top doctor has vindicated me! Thus, I must share his tips below:
How to Order at a Restaurant (source here)
- Be obnoxious! Be clear about your needs and do not accept any food that does not nourish or support you. Do not assume you are being impolite; you are simply taking care of yourself.
- Have an opinion. Choose the restaurant, if possible, when dining with others.
- Tell the server you do not want bread on the table nor the alcohol menu. But do ask for raw cut-up veggies without dip.
- Ask for water. Drink 1-2 glasses before your meal to reduce your appetite.
- Tell the server you will die if you have gluten or dairy. Not a lie – just a slow death.
- Ask for simple food preparation. Order grilled fish with an entire plate of steamed vegetables drizzled with olive oil and lemon. Always ask for olive oil and lemon in lieu of dressing.
- Skip the starches. Ask for double vegetables.
- Avoid sauces, dressings, and dips. They are usually laden with hidden sugars, unhealthy oils, gluten, and dairy.
- Honor responsible portion sizes. Always combine a carbohydrate with some fiber, protein, or anti-inflammatoryfats. Never carb it alone!
- Focus on protein. Choosing your protein first is really helpful to ensure your blood sugar will be balanced and you will eat the right portion size.
- Ask for berries for dessert.
Next post, I’ll share my favorite restaurants in LA for healthy dinging where you won’t have to be so selective and picky with your order!